Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Tomato Sandwich

It's one of life's great summer pleasures.

Two pieces of bread, lightly toasted, some mayo, a little salt and pepper, and a juicy, red tomato. I've decided it's not something I want to give up completely, so it goes on the occasional list. Yesterday was an occasion.

Someone gave me a big, juicy, red tomato and it did not disappoint. The problem was I don't eat bread any more so I didn't have any bread at home, and before you ask, 

No, I'm not going to wrap it in a couple of lettuce leaves. 

While I was at the office yesterday, I popped down to visit with the ladies who quilt and one came in swinging a bag with part of a loaf of bread leftover from a Sunday project, that she planned to freeze for a project next month. Seemed like a sign to me, so I asked her if I might have two pieces of the bread. She warned me to watch it carefully so I don't burn it since I'll only have two pieces. So easy to burn white bread when you're toasting it in the oven.

A few hours later, and there it was. I used a little avocado oil mayo, cut a thick slice of the tomato, added a little salt and pepper, cut the sandwich in half an enjoyed a taste of summer. Sure, I want more, but I have a feeling that the best tomato sandwich of the season is the first, so I'll just stop there. Dinner was roasted veg and shrimp, and it was wonderful. Tonight it'll be the chorizo-spiced stuffed green peppers. I have one beautiful ear of corn and I'll make a charred onion and corn relish to put on top.





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment