Friday, August 25, 2023

Sleeping In

The beauty of time off with absolutely no agenda, except rest, is the body can do what the body needs to do.

Today I did not stir before 10 a.m. When I get out of balance, sleep suffers and the sounds of insect song and the whispering surf is soporific. And it worked on me all day. Whether I was on the beach or in the yard or in the house, my breathing slowed and deepened, and I could swear my blood moved with the tide.

Food was simple. I made some basmati rice to have with the last of the leftovers from Wednesday and a little cut up avocado. The avocado was left over from my late morning green smoothie. I'm adding fruit this week. Dinner was a salad with chicken left over from last night. There were also artichoke hearts and pine nuts. A nice, light vinaigrette ~ all paired with the roasted red pepper soup I made this afternoon. I followed that with a little bit of coconut yogurt and some cacao-cayenne Paleo granola I found at the store today when I went out for water and carrots. Forgot the carrots (for the soup) yesterday when I did the main shopping for my trip. I found another fun foodie treasure while I was out. Honeysuckle honey, raw and local. I've never had that before, but honeysuckle is the fragrance I love most about summer, besides peaches.

I spent some time reading today ~ on the couch, in the yard on the chaise, up at the beach on the bench. I'll spend more time with David Baldacci, Shaw, and Anna Fischer this evening. Before and after a bath with Epsom salts. A rare treat for me after my landlady removed the tub and replaced it with a large shower. Boy do I miss nightly baths. The tubs here are long, wide, and deep. Perfect for soaking. The magnesium works on my aches, and has a little something to say to my mental exhaustion too. 

The moon was out this evening when I took a walk after dinner. Waxing gibbous. There will be a full moon next week. I think I may stay for that.





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment