Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Once In a Blue Moon

This evening's blue moon mostly hid behind a thick layer of cloud. Every now and then I could see a slice of her deep pink deliciousness as she rose over a silvery Atlantic Ocean. The sunset in the west was brilliant, with deep pink and purple skies. The moon, of course, reflected these colors in her rising, and I wished that the thick layer of cloud would have dispersed. I am grateful, though, that I was given glimpses.

The moon is near perigee, so she's a super moon, appearing larger than she usually does. Somehow, even with the thick cloud layer, her reflected light shimmers on the water. I sat outside on the beach and watched for about an hour, catching glimpses here and there as she continued to rise and pick up different colors to reflect, leaving the deep pink and picking up golden raiment. 

There also were no-see-ums out, and I'd have liked to have stayed longer, but got the distinct feeling that I was being served for dinner. 

It was a surprising day, and most of it was clear with blue skies and sunshine. The forecast was for cloud and rain today, but I suppose the trajectory of the hurricane south of us changed and we benefitted from the change in course that took it way out into the Atlantic. I'll take it. I may get a few more sunny days before I have to go home on Saturday. I'm stretching it out as long as I can.





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

A glimpse of the moon above the water, just above and to the left of the pesky ship in all my camera shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment