Monday, June 17, 2024

Energy to Write

It's that time again. The time in the summer writing project when I realize I've committed to writing every day and begin to feel a little bit rebellious. It's the same kind of thing that happens when starting a new diet, or a new exercise program, or when committing to something else new. Habits are hard to develop or change. 

Some writers suggest setting a time and showing up every day at that time to write. Other writers suggest writing a consistent number of words or pages each day. I haven't figured out how to do that. It's enough of a challenge to start showing up every day. I like to write in the morning. If I wait til the evening, it's much harder to focus.  

This year is challenging with the move. My usual writing cues are gone, and the new cues have not yet developed. I feel like I'm floating in the air rather than feeling grounded. I notice that this isn't unique to my writing life. With months-long waits for furniture, boxes to unpack, decisions to make around what will fit in the new place and what won't, figuring out how to set up a new kitchen, nothing about home feels grounded. 

And yet, when I sit down at the keyboard and begin to type, I remember myself as a writer. Something, finally, feels familiar. 




Tomorrow Has Become Yesterday is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment