Thursday, June 13, 2024

Brightly Painted Day

I drove down to Philly today to help my son move some of his things to his new spot. It's interesting how parallel our journeys are this year. He's got a great place that ticks a lot of things on his list, as do I, and we both traded size for location. We're both happy with our choices. Both figuring out how to set up our space and make everything fit. He's ahead of me with his couch. Mine won't be delivered until October. 

We stopped in for lunch at a cute taco joint on the corner, really a triangular spit of land in a five-points intersection. Brightly painted, small menu, delicious food, they make their tortillas on site. Took it back to his place and tried out his new table. He's got one of these convertible, multi-use pieces that is a coffee table, dining table with stools, desk, and storage piece. Perfect for his small spot. Not my cup of tea, but it suits him to a tee.

I drove to Bryn Mawr for a meeting and met a friend for dinner. More tacos at a sweet little local place. I love places that express the character of neighborhoods. More and more disappear from Philly as investors buy up property and raise the rents. 

Tomorrow is another day I'm out and about, and I've reserved the weekend for myself. A few more of those days-with-no-demand that I need so badly to reconnect with myself after a tough year. I had two good weeks in January, and then moved through a cascade of unexpected twists and turns that life sometimes throws at us.

I take a big exhale, look out the window at the last bit of light and the branches of trees moving against it with the breeze. Fireflies dot the near view of the garden.




Tomorrow Has Become Yesterday is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment