Sunday, July 16, 2023

Water Hangs Heavy In the Air

It's one of those days when we might want to stay under the covers and catch up on sleep.

Yesterday also was a day like this, when water hangs heavy in the air. I stayed under the covers and caught up on sleep. Last night, I contended with adversaries in battles in my dreams. This morning I wake again to heaviness in the air, and yet the leaves on trees and their branches  move with unexpected breezes. Birds fly across the canvas beyond my windows. I am moving slowly.

The first day of water-filled root veg went fine. The artichoke and roasted garlic hummus came together fabulously. As I suspected, it's a keeper. There's more jicama in the fridge, and more hummus. It makes a great lunch. 

A sweet potato sits among ripening avocados in the bread bowl, waiting for its turn to shine. I've decided on sweet potato "toast" for tomorrow, with almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Perfect for a light lunch and for energy in the afternoon. On Tuesday, I'll dice it with Vidalia onion, and green pepper that has ripened to orange in my fridge.  Add it to my taco on Tuesday, along with another version of meatballs. This time, a different spice blend and ground chicken instead of pork. Split the pound of ground meat and make half a stuffed pepper for dinner on Monday. I'm thinking of making the curry spice blend I tried on chicken wings a few weeks ago.

Planning continues to be crucial.

In a few minutes it will be time to get ready for church. There's worship, a collection of lunch bags that will be donated, and a leadership meeting. I'll swim later today. Rain is falling again as I think about being in the water. It's nearly invisible it falls so lightly. But it presages the storms that will move through later today. Rain was forecast for the whole time I was in Washington on Thursday and Friday, but the storms did not come until after I headed home. This weekend flooding is forecast with the storms. I am hoping the storms and rain will wash away the heat and humidity that have settled over our area like a heavy pall. I look forward to light breaking through blue skies and cooler, dryer days. 





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She askes big questions of the small things in life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment