Friday, July 21, 2023

Life In the Fast Lane

I'm as prepared as I can be.

Most of the preparation is mindset. I've made some infused waters. I've snipped some spearmint from the garden for a warm spearmint infusion later this afternoon. There's a pot of chicken broth in the slow cooker that's nearly finished. I've got ingredients for green smoothies. Everything else is put away in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. 

A hot stone massage is scheduled for tomorrow at 1. I have a list of different self-care options accessible in case my mind gets addled. That's a little bit of a joke, the addled part. However, I've never fasted this way, for this long before, so I am not sure what to expect from myself. I do have an idea of what to expect generally. What might be possible. My experience could be different.

In the cosmology of this program, this time is called Winter. The idea is to rest. Biologically, we're giving our digestive systems a chance to rest. The liver, especially, gets to rest and to release the glycogen its been holding, as well as any toxins that may want to go. If weight release has been stubborn, there's an opportunity to signal the body that it's safe to release the fat it may be holding, saving for dire circumstances. 

One of the most interesting parts of this process has been learning that everything we put into our bodies communicates something to our bodies. Our bodies respond or react to this communication. It is completely out of the realm of the mind, or conscious thought. Our thoughts and emotions can support or undermine the messages we're sending, but the body has its own intelligence that goes beyond any other kind of intelligence we possess. 

One of the instructions we received for this optional fast was to set aside time when we can actually rest. Serendipitously, the first two of the three fasting days fall on my weekend. The third is Sunday. That gives me some pause, but what is usual (I use this term with cautious optimism) is energy and clarity on the third day. The second day usually is the most challenging. The first day can be challenging. We've been cautioned that we will feel hungry, and that by the third day, we will feel what an empty stomach feels like. We are invited to notice the difference between an empty stomach feeling and hunger. I have no idea what this means, but I am curious. 

We've been given three options for how to do the fast. The first is a water and herbal infusion fast. This means drink a lot of water, and we may include infused waters and herbal "teas." This is the path I've chosen. 

The second and third options include the first, but with additions. The second allows for sipping chicken broth and the third for sipping chicken broth and green smoothies. I have these available if my body signals I need them. I am hoping to experience what it's like to be completely without food for three days. I've practiced intermittent fasting for years, which uses an eating window, and I've fasted for 24 hours, breaking the fast with a light meal, but I've never gone days without food. Optional also is duration, to do a 1-day or a 3-day fast. A 2-day fast is not recommended since we have been invited to have a positive experience and day 2 is often challenging and may be uncomfortable.

I remember when I did my first long hike in the desert. I looked out over miles of desert and up to the mountains beyond. That was my path. I could not see into the mountains, to the canyon that was where I was headed for the main part of the hike. I feel a little of that now. There's excitement, curiosity, a little bit of wondering what I might encounter that I'd not expected or planned for. I have what I think I need and the only thing to do is to put one foot in front of the other and go. I laugh a little at myself thinking about the tacos and beer I would have when I returned from the desert hike. There'll be none of that here, but Taco Tuesday is coming up in a few days so I can look forward to that. I just won't be thinking about it too much.





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment