Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Sing Praises of Sweet Potato Toast

It may be my new favorite thing.

This week's challenge, the enhancements, is to dip our toes into summer (but not too far) and see how some nutritional sugars play with our bodies. So far, so good. The jicama over the weekend did not even take me out of ketosis. Neither did the small amount of sweet potato I had yesterday. We'll see about today's installment of sweet potato, and about the fruit I am adding tomorrow. I am having small, judicious amounts, carefully planned. Only one type of enhancement food at a time.

The idea is to see how our bodies react.

Does our energy diminish? Do we have a return of pain? What happens to our sleep? Our bodies have become so sensitive to what we are putting into them as they heal from the things that aren't so good for them that we're invited to notice and learn from what we are seeing, feeling, and experiencing. That we'll hopefully take this learning into our future food choices. I think that I will, but the naggy little voice inside my head tells another story. I put my hands over my ears and sing, "La la la." 

Sweet potato toast. I've tried to make it in the past, without much success. I did some online research and found a sensible recipe. It turned out beautifully. I used a little almond butter and had two slices for a light lunch. It was so sweet that it felt like dessert. Sometime I'll try it with smashed avocado and smoked salmon, maybe some pickled red onion. I'm thinking up whole buffets of options. But I think I'll like this simplest version the best. I may skip most of the others. 







The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

Pictured: Sweet Potato Toast with Almond Butter. Gobbled up the first piece, and then thought to photograph this goodness. 

Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Thinly slice sweet potato, lengthwise or into rounds, beginning in the middle of the potato (or slicing away the rounded edges) to get flat slices. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. (Baking time depends on thickness - 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices work best.) Best to "toast" in the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment