Monday, July 3, 2023

Today May Be The Day

One of my goals as I continue with this part of the program is to develop ways to make this lifestyle sustainable.

This includes developing new patterns and systems, and ways to make beautiful and delicious meals. Ways to take some of my favorite things to eat and give them makeovers, and acknowledging that some of my favorite foods may no longer be some of my favorites.

Last week I came up with another new taco recipe, using something I adapted from a Paleo cookbook. It's become one of my favorites. I made over chicken wings, another favorite, adapting another recipe. I think pizza is a total loss. Although . . . I remember having pizza at a vegan restaurant in Glastonbury. They used nut cheese. It was such a surprise. And good. Still, the crust, while gluten free, was wheat. The EU and UK have better wheat than we do, due to better regulations. I don't care for the taste of cauliflower so I won't be making a crust out of that. I suppose one of these days I can try using a coconut wrap, but that might be a stretch. We'll see. I'll probably try it now that I'm thinking of it. I can use tomato confit, blended, for the sauce, and use roasted garlic confit and fresh basil as toppings, maybe some caramelized onion. That might make a tasty version. 

A willingness to be expansive and creative helps when we're trying to transform something about our lives.

Last night I adapted my stuffed pepper recipe, and it was delicious. I tried two different ways to top the finished peppers. On one half I blended tomato confit with a few roasted garlic cloves for a simple sauce. On the other, I simply used the unblended veg for a deconstructed sauce. I like the second better than the first. Next time, I think I will also play with how I season the meat.

I have a few little tasks around the house today that will help make things more livable in my kitchen. I've been a little resistant about attending to them. Today may be the day. 


  



The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

Pictured: Taco Tuesday recipe makeover: coconut wrap, smashed avocado, arugula, chorizo-spiced pork (pastured) meatballs, salsa verde (clean, from the farm market), a squeeze of lime. Before folding.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment