Monday, July 10, 2023

Pot of Goodness On the Stove

In the crock pot, actually. The slow cooker. It's funny how brand names end up becoming the oft used generic name for a thing. 

I've been making chicken broth the last few weeks. It may seem counterintuitive to do this in the summer but, when I'm focusing on my health, I tend to make and consume broth. It's a wonder food for hair, nails, skin, and bones because of the collagen. It's got the magic of transformation, because it uses what otherwise would be thrown out, to make liquid gold. It's delicious and comforting and feels like sabbath in your hands, as they wrap around the mug and you close your eyes, breathe in the aromas on the steam, and sip its goodness.  

I was up early this morning. My house is bolted against the heat and humidity outdoors. The sun has been moving in and out of cloud and haze. Leaves on trees move with a surprising breeze. It's a day of contradictions, as the humidity makes everything feel stuck in the quicksand of hot and muggy air. It looks like it might rain. I hope for a rain that clears away all the stagnation. 

Summer weather brings its own calls for comfort.







The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment