Saturday, July 8, 2023

Skirt Steak and Chimichurri

Feeling a bit adventurous in the kitchen today.

I picked up a skirt steak at the farmer's market, a nice grass-fed and finished piece of beef. I spent some time online to look for good ways to prepare it. It's a thin cut of meat, so it can overcook easily. I'll use a hot cast iron skillet and sear it.

Mixed up a nice rub with smoked paprika, onion and garlic powders, a little bit of cumin for earthiness, some salt and pepper and a bit of oregano. Now that I think about it, I may use only salt and pepper. We'll see how I'm feeling.

In a few minutes I'll pop up the street to the produce market and pick up some flat-leaf parsley. I'm going to try my hand at a chimichurri. Squeeze a bit of lime over the whole thing when it's finished. 

I love the way I'm eating. I've never felt better. Well, that may not be true. I may have felt better decades ago in the flower of youth, but for this time in life, I'm feeling pretty good. Some days are better than others, but the vitality and vibrancy I'm feeling are worth the changes. I really don't have any more aches and pains. Even the pain at the base of my right thumb has decreased a thousand fold, and the inflammation there is gone. 

The word has come down that we'll be in this part of the program for one more week. The last weeks of the program will be spent teaching us how to cycle through different kinds of seasons, as they call them. What they're good for, when to use them, how to navigate vacations, holidays and other times when temptation looms. Things to think about going forward. Creating a plan to transition from program to lifestyle.

I wish the program had another month to it. I'm just getting the hang of everything and starting to feel confident and creative. The first few weeks of this part of it, I ate in very basic ways. A few weeks ago I started to experiment with recipes to make beautiful and delicious meals. This week I'm taking things up a notch, so, skirt steak and chimichurri. 

I think about having a nice glass of organic and biodynamic wine with it, but, of course, wine is still on vacation.






The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment