Thursday, July 27, 2023

A New Wilderness

This one starts out with companions, and then I may find myself suddenly alone. 

We receive the final set of enhancements this evening, as the clock strikes midnight GMT. Tomorrow Fall begins. I'll learn more about it on tonight's video, but the essence is the abundance of everything and many choices. It's the freedom season in the framework, and the last week of the program will be learning how to navigate all the choices, and then how to cycle the seasons. In a little over a week, there will be no one to tell me what to eat and not to eat. I'll be telling me.

Oh man.

For now, I think I'll just slide back my look ahead and notice that this Wilderness I've just stepped into will have a variety of landscapes to navigate. I marvel at the thought of passing through such a diverse ecosystem. 

A trip to the Princeton Farmer's Market is part of my plan for the day. It's peach season! And I'm off to buy some of that juicy, golden goodness. It's also sunflower season. I'm hoping to find sunflowers with golden centers today. I'd love to bring a whole armful home, but I'll settle for three. Or maybe two or three or four bouquets of three. Adorn all my rooms. 

Swimming is on my books for the day as well. I've been swimming three times a week, and I've noticed I am building muscle and strength and endurance. Tomorrow morning I'll take my measurements again and the "after" pictures. I'll put them side by side and see what I can see. There are so many metrics available to me. So many things to notice. I put it all in my daypack as I set out in this new landscape.

We've been asked to make a list of the foods we'd like to bring back and try. Things we're thinking right now we might like to re-introduce going forward. I have a small notepad that I picked up one day when I was thinking about this. After listing about 12 things, I made a note ~

I really don't want anything to be off limits. I'd like to keep the freedom to choose.

and

There are a lot of things I think about eating once a year.

I think about vacations and evenings out and the odd hankerin' for something that reminds me of childhood. Yes, some of this is emotional in nature, and I wonder if all emotional eating is unsupportive of good health? 

It might be. Because saying yes to this can lead to say yes to something else, and because you've said yes to these you figure why not say yes to that as well. It can be a slippery slope. 

I've made no final determinations yet. I haven't passed through the part of the Green Wilderness that will help me figure all this out. I'm still looking ahead it seems. Bringing myself back to NOW, I notice it's the last day of spring in the program. The last day of strict adherence, and I wonder how I am feeling about this?







The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment