Saturday, July 1, 2023

Turn the Page

I love the moment when I open my morning journal and there is a fresh page before me. 

I love the moment when I have been writing and filling the page with my loopy pink script and the thoughts behind it, and then turn the page. I take a moment to pause, to exhale, to notice that the page has turned, that there is open space before me, that I can put pen to paper and create whatever I want, that what came before, and is on the other side of the page, does not have to be what is on this side of the page. 

That what came before does not have to determine what comes next.

It's Saturday morning. Smoke from the Canadian wildfires has been in our area since Wednesday. The air quality is dangerous. I feel a bit restless from being indoors. I'd like to go outside and breathe fresh air and walk in the woods. I'd like to sit before a large body of water and be part of its spaciousness. I'd like to amble through the farmers market and bring home some fresh basil and other herbs. Instead I'm indoors, looking at all the things I have to do. 

I think today I may just embrace some of the tasks and begin to move the mountain a little bit. 








The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment