Sunday, August 15, 2021

Tipping My Hat to an Old Standby

I traded a crisp summer salad recipe for soup tonight. It's mid-August but you'd think it was October, when I crave food that's warm and mushy like a thick, pureed root vegetable soup.

Soup is the magic of transformation in a pot on the stove.

Here's the method -

I use what I have and it always gives me something wonderful. Today that was part of an onion I had in the fridge and some nearly gone carrots from the farm market. The skins and stems went into the scrap bag I keep in the freezer for stock making. I also used a medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks. All of this went into a pot on the stove with EVOO and a fat clove of garlic,  roughly chopped, until everything was lightly caramelized. 

I added about four cups of chicken stock I made last week and had in the freezer. Brought that nearly to a boil and turned it down to simmer 35 minutes. Blended with a hand blender until smooth. Seasoned with Celtic grey sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and some fresh thyme I dried and keep in the fridge. I put the seasoning on the vegetables while they are browning.

Meanwhile, I thawed 7 large shrimp and chopped them into nice chunks, cut the kernels from the cob of an ear of corn I picked up at the farmer's market the other day. The corn is perfectly in season and is beautifully sweet. I usually use the Wild Argentinian Shrimp from Trader Joe's. Added these ingredients to the pot and simmered for about ten minutes. 

No gluten, dairy, or added sugars. Nothing inflammatory. Fabulous with a green salad.

I had it for dinner and saved some to take to work for lunch another day. An old standby. Delicious.




A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment