Thursday, August 26, 2021

Reading the River

Before heading out today, I walked around the property and discovered we'd been visited by a bear last night. The heavy lid of the wooden trash box was thrown open and a heavy trash bag had been dragged out to the road.  

The road winds down the mountainside through sun-dappled forests and ends near the river. A sandy beach with pebbles marks the threshold between forest and water. It's a beautiful place to sit and read the river. A between place. 

The little town I usually visit when I'm in the area was closed today. Most shops had signs saying they're open on the weekends and at other times by appointment. So I visited another small town I'd heard about from a friend. There's a small bookshop there owned by the author Nora Roberts. I've never seen a bookshop dedicated practically to one author. Her books were displayed prominently on most shelf displays. I don't think I'd realized how prolific a writer she is, both in her own name and under her pseudonym JD Robb. I've never read her work. I came home with an Ursula K. Le Guin title. 

It's not lost on me that Ursula comes from the Latin ursa. Bear.



 
 


A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment