Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Three Breaths

When things get tough, I close my eyes and take three deep breaths. In through the nose. Out through the mouth. They drive oxygen to the brain and bring deep refreshment. The heart rate decreases and blood vessels dilate, bringing down the blood pressure as the parasympathetic nervous system is activated.

It's a mini retreat in the moment. 

I teach this simple ritual in a mindfulness class I lead once a month. I have a student who has shared that this has helped him at work when things get frustrating. It's amazing how the simple things are often the most effective.






A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment