Friday, August 20, 2021

Bones and Scraps

Bones and scraps and the dregs of the day. Here I am at 10-something, just beginning to write. Friday is a dedicated day off and time to rest is welcome. My activities are restorative - reading, talking with friends, cooking. Today it was broth. Bones and scraps and filtered water go in the pot with herbs and spices and a few tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar. It boils, then simmers for an entire day. The ingredients come undone and something new is created. The last streams of golden liquid drain through a fine mesh strainer. Most of it is in a large Ball jar already. Overnight, any fat will rise to the surface and harden. In the morning I'll take it off and the broth will be ready to drink. This batch is beautifully seasoned. I think I'll drink it like a tonic.

A few years ago I made broth religiously and drank it several times a day. My daughter called it my "meat tea." The memory makes me smile. It's a rarer treat for me in the summer. I don't like to have the stove on and fill the house with heat. But today the happiness factor outweighs the heat. 




A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment