Thursday, July 29, 2021

Tornadoes and Tomato Sandwiches

Thursday is my Friday.

So, it's the weekend. (Yay!) And I'm ready for a rest. Didn't have much energy for cooking tonight, but my office admin brought me a bag of tomatoes from her garden. Talk about wonderful! I sometimes forget how amazing sun-ripened garden tomatoes are. I had  just enough energy to slice one and use up the rest of the small loaf of sourdough I bought to make my daughter sandwiches for her flight back to Chicago the other day, slap on some avocado oil mayo, and cut the sandwich in half.

I took the sandwich into the living room. I've been popping back and forth between news coverage of the tornadoes threatening our area and the movie The Day After Tomorrow. A tornado touched down near a local mall, an observed tornado. And another was observed in the skies just north of me. The storm has now moved away from our area, but I've noticed that this summer we've had several storms like this, with tornado warnings and actual tornadoes touching down. I don't remember tornadoes being an issue here when I was growing up. Seems like a consequence of climate change. I'm just glad I didn't end up in the basement tonight.

Now it's off to the Olympics and the women's all-around competition. I marvel at these courageous women who hurl themselves into the air, doing mind-bending feats. I remember as a girl doing a little bit of gymnastics. The feel of flight was mythic. 





A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment