Sunday, July 11, 2021

Nope, Not Chasing Anything Today

When I was a teenager, we had an active youth ministry at the church where I grew up and every year we led the services on Youth Sunday. It was so fun. I remember being a child and marveling as I sat in the pew with my parents and grandparents, watching this extravaganza, 

It was nothing like anything I'd ever seen before. And then, as a seventh grader, finally able to be a part of it and still marveling, this time at the older youth, especially the high school kids which back then were 10th through 12th graders. Some of them played guitars and could play and walk and sing at the same time. We had processions down the center aisle - there must have been 40 of us - singing sacred folk songs with guitars and so much energy and enthusiasm. I still remember some of them. This one is based on a passage in the book of Isaiah goes something like this:


        Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength,

        They shall mount up like eagles on wings of great length,

        They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint,

        He gives strength to the weary and power to his saints. 


I think about that one when I've been through it and have come out on the other side. Sometimes I even hum the tune while thinking of the words. I've been thinking about it this evening. It's been a rough couple of years and things are looking up. I'm feeling fortunate. And grateful. I decided to celebrate this evening and treated myself to some carry out. Sushi. I also got a couple of shrimp rolls from the Chinese place - because it's going to be a busy week and I want to have some ready food around. They're easy to heat up and I enjoy them. 

Anyway, I picked up the last fortune cookie at the counter when I picked up my order. This is what it said,

            All things come to him (or her) who waits.

Got to admit - it gave me goose bumps. Maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but I certainly did smile.







A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment