Friday, July 9, 2021

Chasing Wild Nature

Driving home from a friend's this evening, the songs of tree frogs and insects made me smile.

It's another happy place, the wild pockets of land one can find even in the congested east coast of the United States. I opened the sun roof of my car to a clear expression of the Big Dipper above me in the night sky. A profusion of fireflies twinkled like fallen stars there on the hilltop. A doe noshed on foliage by the side of the road. There were no sounds of civilization - no other cars or the sounds of television sets, electronic music, or the whir of air conditioners. 

I turned left onto Rt. 29-S in New Jersey, the road that winds along the Delaware River,  and spent another three miles with just the sounds of wild nature and my own car. I didn't actually chase wild nature. It found me.









A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment