Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Walking Through the Landscape of the Future Today

I've been bringing my attention back to a meditation practice this summer.

It was stop and start for a good part of the summer, and then Oprah and Deepak announced an online 21-day meditation experience around desire and attraction. It began ten days ago. I was pretty good the first few days and then got behind because of over-scheduling and poor time management. I have been a little scattered and not being disciplined with my attention. Fortunately, the recordings are available for five-days, so if you get behind, you can catch up. I've only lost one day because of inattention. And this morning I was back at it, doing the meditation in the morning. For me, this is the most effective time to meditate and to have it change the quality of my day.

Whichever day of the practice I'm on, it was the right message for the right day. There, really, is nothing new in any of this for me, but a good reminder is always a welcome thing. It can help us reorient to our true north.

Today's centering thought is around focused awareness and around the understanding that energy flows where attention goes. True, I'm mixing two cultural teachings here, Eastern meditations principles and Huna principles. Truth is not culture-dependent and most of the really good stuff is pan-cultural.

I was noticing the lack of focus in my morning journal today. It is no wonder that my experience has not been what I truly want lately. And it's funny how when we find ourselves in a place like this, we wonder what's wrong. What's going on. The truth is that we probably are simply unfocused in our thoughts and our awareness. And when our thoughts and awareness are unfocused, then our action becomes unfocused and it is difficult to do the things that we want to do. 

Yesterday I was talking about vision, the kind of vision that fills our entire mindspace. In essence, it is simply focused vision. Clear. Defined, but not rigid. Alive.

How do we organize our days so that we can nurture a focused awareness?

How do we focus our awareness so that we can organize our days with the kind of flexible discipline that enables us to do the things we want to do?

Staying with these questions and allowing the questions to share their wisdom over time feels key for me in this. When we stay with a question rather than trying to quickly move into answers, we remain in a place of questing. Searching. Seeking. Discovery. Different options can step forward for our examination and experimentation. And in trying different things, we can discover what is the best path forward and refine it. So it fits. Like a glove.

Questioning is a place of vitality, where our senses and intuition are alive and focused on discovery.  

It's August 1st. A new month. A new page. A new focus. And the third month of this daily writing practice. I'm trying not to think too far ahead, but to simply be in this day, with my awareness focused on what is happening for me right now and what I am learning with each unfolding moment. But I'm also keenly aware that beautiful futures are created with some attention given in the now about what we want that future to look like.

Didn't someone once say that the future is created by what we do today?






The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice created to harness three months for thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment