Friday, August 31, 2018

Pathways to Deeper Work

It's an interesting irony that I'm writing the final post of the Summer of Self-Love on my tiny Raydem keyboard.

I'm on the road again.

And I'm feeling oddly blocked as I write this evening.

Natalie Goldberg would tell me to write about just that until something else opened up. Lynda Barry would tell me to write tic tic tic until something else opened up. Teachers I highly respect have developed ways to write through the blocks. They both understand that blocks are temporary and that they are pathways to deeper work.

Blocks are pathways to deeper work.

Blocks are pathways to deeper work.

It's the difficult and the dangerous places of the soul that open us to deeper expressions of our own depths. The harder roads lead to the most wondrous finds. The conflicts we meet, rather than avoid, open the way to treasure.

We have to keep with it, stay engaged, be willing to meet ourselves there.

The greatest battles are within the self. Being willing to show up and choosing to be present for ourselves are the most courageous acts we undertake. They are key to self-mastery, to personal sovereignty.

And being soverign in the self is everything.








The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice created to harness three months for thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are.

WILD THING copyright 2018 Katherine Cartwright

No comments:

Post a Comment