Sunday, August 26, 2018

Light On the Water

I didn't even need my alarm. 

I woke naturally a little after 4 am. I thought to myself that it had been a crazy idea to get up so early to drive to the shore to watch the sun rise. I tried to go back to sleep. 

But something was nudging me to awaken.

So, moving slowly in the darkness, I got ready. It didn't take much. Some clothes and a cup of tea to go. My bag. My keys. My phone.

And I was off. 

Initially heading west, the nearly full, glorious moon was sinking in the night sky. The closer she gets to the earth, the larger she appears. Opalescent white against a deep blue-black sky. 

I turned East and went over the river.

As I drove, the sky began to lighten. I found myself wishing I'd gotten myself moving a little more quickly. Colors, and clouds on which to catch them, began to appear. Pinks, apricots, lavenders, and periwinkles. As I walked toward the shoreline, the sounds of surf against sand added its music to the scene.

Everything was coming alive.

And there was the sun, rising over the steely grey shimmering ocean. A deep apricot orb with spears of golden light, slowly revealing. 

This time, I moved toward the sun and brilliant, vibrant, pulsating light. The source of light. So often I move toward the softer, reflected light of the moon. And stillness. Both are beautiful and powerful, of course. 

But today something in me needed to ignite. I felt drawn to beginnings and to what is being birthed. To what is new. A new day. Perhaps a new perspective. 

A quickening energy. 










The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice created to harness three months for thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are.


Photo taken at the Jersey Shore, another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment