Saturday, August 6, 2022

The Good Earth

I continue to work my way through the cornucopia of goodness I collected at the farmers market the other day. Today it was some roast chicken, local and pastured, with fresh herbs from my garden and garlic, shallot, fennel, and apple from the local farms. A bit of salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. A cast iron skillet and a hot oven. It's just that easy to conjure a little kitchen magic. 

Really, all I did was to reach for what I had and put it all together. There's a kind of genius that comes forward when we are deeply present and inhabiting our lives. 


Here's the recipe, as I made it:

One leg quarter and two wings placed in a 7-inch cast iron skillet

A nice drizzle of EVOO, salt, pepper, and some fresh herbs, like thyme, rosemary, Italian parsley goes over the top, along with

One fat clove of garlic, grated

Thinly slice a shallot, the heart of a fennel bulb, and a third of a green apple

Add another small drizzle of EVOO

Place the skillet in a preheated 375 degree oven and roast for 45 minutes. Allow it to sit for ten minutes before serving, and, of course, give thanks and enjoy.

 





Creating Space: Three Months of Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice. Turns out that a lot of this writing explores the landscape of grief. My mother died shortly before I began this writing, and this is what I'm thinking about most of the time these days.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment