Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Postcards from the Unthinkable, Vol. 3

Wild Thing, I think I love you.

On my mind right now is this cartoon that seems to be developing. I like her, and I think she's coming to life. It feels like a story that wants to be written. A poet goes to a writing workshop and creates a character who comes to life. A cartoon character.

Unthinkable.

And someone must have done it already.

My character reminds me a little of the Maurice Sendak characters. I always wondered why he had only boy characters and no girl characters. They had such great adventures. I wanted to have adventures like that. Maybe I'll give myself some.

I want to draw her on safari. And in the desert.

Why didn't I give her a tiara?

Instead, I gave her a crown, scepter, and orb. And ermine. I gave her ermine. But she looks angry. An angry queen - it's too domesticated for her.

She'd rather be on an adventure.








The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice created to harness three months for thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are.



Cartoon: (c)2018 Katherine Cartwright


No comments:

Post a Comment