Saturday, July 21, 2018

Homecoming

I feel as if I lived a week in a single day. 

It began in New York and ended back home. The last half day of the writing workshop came and went. We wrote another book. I suspect that Lynda wanted us to know that what we'd done the day before was not an aberration. 

Saw an old friend. Spent time at two farm markets and a grocery store. Came home to a dark house. Ate Chinese food at my kitchen table, with only the light of darkening skies after sunset. Wrote my blog with one-finger-typing on an iPhone and held my breath as it finally posted. Fell asleep to the sound of a dog that barked for hours.

The electricity was restored sometime overnight.

I thought about checking into a B & B before I left New York and spending an extra day. Yesterday was beautiful and it would have been nice to have enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio of a nice eatery somewhere. But there's something about the momentum of coming home that drives me forward once I'm on my way.

The momentum ended at my front door. 


It wasn't until I was sitting at my kitchen table this morning reflecting on the last week that I felt the intensity of the work I'd just completed. Twenty-five rigorous hours of fierce writing over five days. We wrote in 2 1/2-3 hour segments, and each of those was divided into four-eight minute bursts of timed writing. I also wrote and posted to the blog every day and wrote in my morning pages journal all but one day I was away.  

A true immersion.




Beyond these reflections I have no thoughts, and I've given myself a few days to integrate this experience quietly at home, and to decide the practices I will choose to maintain. 







The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice created to harness three months for thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are.



 







No comments:

Post a Comment