Thursday, July 7, 2022

Dance

A deep breath, in through the nose and out through the mouth.

And another.

And a third.

It's not enough. I need more. Probably an hour of this kind of breathing

To drive oxygen to my brain and clear my mind 

Of the monkey dance it does

When pressure from outside

Seeps inside and 

Coats my inner space with 

Thoughts driven

By projections into a future that has not yet been written.

So I write to remind myself to let go of the monkey's hand

And throw the arms of my mind up in the air

And spin

Wildly

In the beauty of now

Where there is nothing but the breath.







Creating Space: Three Months of Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice. Turns out that a lot of this writing explores the landscape of grief. My mother died shortly before I began this writing, and this is what I'm thinking about most of the time these days..

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment