Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Afternoon

Soft cloudy pause

The kettle sounds

Water poured over tea leaves

There is no cake and

No cookies but

The tea is warm and 

Fragrant

I hold the cup in my hand

Close my eyes

Smile and

Remember

Afternoons with my mother

Laughing and 

Laughing some more

I talked with a friend today

We laughed and

Laughed some more and

Said good-bye

Each off to

Make a pot of tea






Creating Space: Three Months of Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice. Turns out that a lot of this writing explores the landscape of grief. My mother died shortly before I began this writing, and this is what I'm thinking about most of the time these days.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment