Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Softly, the Rain Falls

The heat has been searing and the humidity stifling.

But this afternoon the skies cracked open with the sounding of thunder, and the pressure broke. The temperature dropped 15 degrees and rain began to fall, softly. It is the gentlest thunderstorm I've experienced in years. Reminds me of childhood summers, playing on the front porch in the middle of the afternoon when summer storms moved through and sprinkled the lawn with rainfall, while thunder sounded far away. I loved to step off the porch and run barefoot through the rain, spin around with my arms open wide and look up into the sky. 

Today I carried groceries in from the car, opened the kitchen window, and made iced tea with lemon. The ice melted in the glass. Most people would have turned on the air conditioning. 

But I love the smell of the rain, and the sound of it falling outside my kitchen window. The lush greenness all around. And the sound of birds singing through the storm.






A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. 

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and every year brings new wonder. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

1 comment: