Saturday, June 19, 2021

Opening to Experience

I went to a party today.

A couple of years ago, that might not have been a big deal. But today? 

I looked around the gathering, outdoors in a large space, and had a moment of awe and wonder. A party? A real party? It felt a little bit like a miracle, and there was such a lightness that came with it. One of my first thoughts after the awe and wonder and lightness was about safety. Is it safe? I don't know the answer to that, but we were outdoors and people were more distanced than they might once have been. And I ask myself again about changing patterns and whether this time of pandemic restriction has changed me. 

I'm home now and working on my Sunday sermon. The story is about Jesus and his disciples in a small boat in a storm. Jesus is relaxed and falls asleep. The disciples are freaking out in the storm. They wake him, cry out to him, scold him for abandoning them to the storm. 

Of course, he did not abandon them to the storm, but he does have a question about their faith there in the storm, and about why they shut down when they are afraid, instead of trusting the grace that is with them and opening to the experience.

It's a good question.





A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonder. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment