Monday, September 4, 2023

New Haven Pizza Jaunt

It has been a long, wonderful day. From the train ride up. To lunch at Frank Pepe's. To a rest at the Airbnb during the hottest part of the day. To the long walk past Yale, the New Haven Green, over 95, and back to Little Italy for dinner at Sally's. To a fun movie on Netflix back at the Airbnb after an unsuccessful hunt for gelato. To falling into bed exhausted. To jumping up when I remembered I was going to post my blog after dinner, and a quick write up for the day. 

This trip was imagined toward the end of a three-day water fast about six weeks ago. I was trying to distract myself, and came across a documentary about New Haven pizza while scrolling through YouTube. I was so pulled into the story of its origins and reputation that I found myself planning a New Haven pizza tour. One day while hanging out with my son, I told him about it and he said, "When are we going? What are you doing on Labor Day?"  We arranged an Airbnb and bought Amtrak tickets. 

It's so easy to decide to do something fun with someone you love, and then just do it. 





The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience. Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment