Sunday, June 5, 2022

When Interruption Shows Up

It is inevitable.

Night writing late at night after a long day at work. It's the fifth year of this writing practice and I still haven't figured this one out. So I simply show up and count myself grateful to be able to do that. To create the space I need to show up for the writing.

But it's also been "one of those days" in other ways. Blogger keeps freezing, so thoughts get interrupted and it's hard to get into the writing flow. Interruptions lead to pauses in my thinking or lost trains of thought, or frustration that takes me out of the stream what might like to show up. I learn to live with these circumstances and show up nonetheless.

I could make a list of the things today that could keep me from writing; the things I've mentioned are just the small, annoying things. 

I've returned to work after having been away unexpectedly. Projects at work have been interrupted; the flow of what I might have been creating at work a few weeks ago has evaporated. Tomorrow I'll be in the office and attending to things that have been waiting for me. There are projects around the house that need my attention. 

What's showing up today is interruption. 

But I'm thinking about the big questions that come with these small annoyances. Like why they bother me so much. (The annoyances, not the questions.) Like what they might be pointing to that I might be ignoring because it feels to big too address. That's the thing about night writing. Here in the dark, things that want to stay hidden find it harder to hide.  







Creating Space: Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012 and each day brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment