Tuesday, June 7, 2022

One Small Thing

Yesterday it was flowers, and a trip to the store to buy ingredients for a nice meal I'll share with my son today.

I am finding that with grief the landscape changes moment to moment. Distraction does not work with me. I need space to feel my feelings, to map the changing topography. What does work, is creating space for life-giving things, even small ones, like three beautiful stems of lily or three vibrant sunflowers or taking apart a sweet onion with a nearly perfect dice and concentration on my knife work. 

Releasing the fragrance of fresh dill or a juicy lemon. Seeing the beauty of a savory pilaf come together and then adding just a bit of dried apricot to tease out some sweetness.

To tease out some sweetness.

I'm thinking about the sweet things in life today. And about balance. I'll work some today and play some. Spend some time with my son, making and savoring a beautiful meal and a nice glass of wine. It's a chardonnay. I didn't think I liked them, but while I was away a few months ago, researching California Central Coast organic and biodynamic wines I discovered this bottled sunshine. 

I hope it tastes as good at home as it did under the pergola at the vineyard.






Creating Space: Three Months of Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012 and each day brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment