Thursday, June 30, 2022

Again, I Cut Flowers in My Mother's Garden

Things are very different than the last time I wrote about this.

I'd come down to Washington to get away from things and find some quiet. The rest of my family had taken off for vacations to points north and west. My mother was alive. She was traveling as well. So, I was here and everyone else was gone. I'd come to do some writing, that year's counterpart to this writing project. I may also have been finalizing some things for the poetry collection that was published a year later.

Well, maybe some things are the same.

I've been invited to contribute to an anthology, so I'm creating a mini collection. I've got some poetry that I've been wanting to see if I can connect around a loose theme. It will be an interesting challenge to capture my mind.  

Of course, even though many things are the same, everything is different.

But I've arrived. Evening has fallen and while the late afternoon light touched the garden, I cut some of the hydrangea bloom I've been eagerly anticipating. It will be the last year. Most of what is coming this year will be firsts, but this will be the last blossoming of this garden I will enjoy.





Creating Space: Three Months of Showing Up for What's Showing Up is a daily writing practice. Turns out that a lot of this writing explores the landscape of grief. My mother died shortly before I began this writing, and this is what my mind is on most of the time.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.


Here's a link to Cutting Flowers in My Mother's Garden, July 2, 2018 -

https://kateknodel.blogspot.com/2018/07/cutting-flowers-in-my-mothers-garden.html

No comments:

Post a Comment