Thursday, June 13, 2019

The View from Above

It was an unexpected day of work for me today and a late meeting. A quick bit of writing as I forgot that I am the columnist scheduled for this Sunday's paper. I write as part of a team of columnists and forgot to put the date in my calendar. My mind has been on my own writing projects and it simply slipped my mind. 

That's never happened before.

So I wrote a beautiful column in about an hour and sent it off with an apology. I hope there's time to include it. 

It's funny how when I know I have time, the writing process feels more heavy. I question myself more. Doubt myself more. Wonder overmuch about whether it's good enough. When I am under a deadline, or seriously past the deadline, suddenly all that worry, doubt, and fear disappear and there is only the writing and the sending the writing off to find its way into the world.

There is some kind of wisdom in this.










The Great Summer Writing Retreat of 2019 begins. One hundred days of writing unedited ideas and following a prompt to its sometimes illogical conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment