Thursday, June 21, 2018

Earth and Her Rhythms Are Powerful Teachers

It's the morning of the Summer Solstice and I've ridiculously overscheduled myself today.

The thing is, quite a few of my regularly-scheduled commitments are happening today. A Mastermind Circle on-line meeting at 8 am, a Creativity Workshop I teach every month on the evening of the third Thursday. It's my habit to go to the farmers' market on Thursday mornings also. I think I'm going to give myself permission to skip that today. Makes me sad, though. That's a self-love kinda thing I do for myself.

But the loving thing to do today may actually be saying, "No."

The centerpiece of the day is around a teaching relationship I have. We get together on these days when the rhythms of the Earth deeply support our transformational work. There is something about working with the rhythms and flows that makes our work more powerful - whether those rhythms and flows are related to our connection with the bigger things of which we are a part or whether they are native to our own beings.

The Solstice arrived at 6:07 am with the crossing of the sun into Cancer. All the beginnings of seasons are marked with the sun crossing into the cardinal signs of the Zodiac. Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn. We move into a cardinal sign (as opposed to fixed or mutable signs) so movement and (because Cancer is a water sign) flow are possible. And not just possible, but deeply desired and supported by the Earth rhythms.

I find myself this morning releasing Gemini's mercurial energies on the breath and feeling the flow of my inner waterways fed by the heart. 

I'm smiling as I'm thinking about that. 

Having awareness around the natural rhythms enables deeper pathways of manifestation. I think of it like an almost mathematical formula:

Awareness + Action = Change

And as I move more deeply into meditating upon that formula, I notice words emerging around the type of action that best leads to the kinds of change we want to see in our lives and in the world around us. 

Action that is inspired and focused and directed.

It's a good day to notice the seeds that are breaking open in us for the next season. It's a good day to notice what is coming to fulfillment or completing, what is blossoming. It's a good day to notice where we have flow and where things are blocked. To meditate on the teachings of rocks in the river and the ways water flows around obstructions, wearing them away over time. Or finding other channels of movement.

Earth and her rhythms are powerful teachers. 

I'm feeling like I might return to this at the end of the day. Something feels unfinished. Or perhaps it is simply this need I find in myself sometimes to say it all. That's folly, of course. But there's something I started with that feels untouched here. 

Perhaps I'll find more clarity as the day unfolds.




The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice birthed June 1, 2018 as a container to harness three months of thriving. The goal at the end is to have a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it. Most of them usually are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment