Monday, June 11, 2018

A Tiny Drop of Sweetness

Honeysuckle must release its fragrance at night.

I've been driving around on these early June evenings, intoxicated. By the fragrance, of course, the heady scent heavy on the air. By day, I notice the roadside greenery is covered with the delicate blossoms. But at night...

The fragrance. It takes me by surprise and I tarry just a little longer than I might otherwise. It's worth every stolen moment.



I remember when I was a little girl. I loved to sit on a stone wall in our garden and pluck the flowers from the vine. Ever so carefully, I would pierce the end and slowly pull the pistils through the flower, hoping to catch the single drop of nectar. Such sweetness and delight! And just a tiny taste. 

I'm writing at night again. An early morning meeting and another that ran late tonight shaped my day. And I find myself here again, releasing fragrance into the night. It's just a delicate blossom of memory. And a tiny drop of sweetness.











The Summer of Self-Love is a daily writing practice birthed on June 1, 2018 as a container for harnessing three months of thriving. The goal at the end is to host a dinner party. Sounds like an odd Hero's Journey, doesn't it? Most of them usually are. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment