Friday, August 21, 2020

Surfacing

I know. I know. I disappeared on you. But I did not disappear. I simply have gone underground and will come up someplace else. Here's what I've done

I signed up for The Creative's Workshop, offered by Seth Godin and Akimbo. I really like his work. Last year I signed up to do The Podcasting Fellowship and I became overwhelmed by the tech and disappeared. I crashed and burned. It's not like me to just stop and disappear. Or maybe it is. I don't know. That's a hard thing to think about related to oneself. So I may think about it or I may let it lie and if it comes up again, I'll deal with it. Or I won't. We have choices about that kind of stuff and need to balance our inner growth with our peace of mind. Intense times of inner growth are challenging.

And that's where I am right now. In an intense time of inner growth. Of expansion. Of showing up every day and working on my craft and of giving and getting feedback. It's amazing. 

I've fallen into some creative work that's been lying fallow somewhere in my psyche. I'm not talking about it in the outside world yet because it it alchemizing. But I'm doing it and that's the exciting thing. I'm excited, and I haven't been excited for a long time, except for that time a few weeks ago that I took off for the beach. Or saw my mom for the first time since the Corona lockdown. Or saw my son. Or my friend Sarah. Or had the first Zoom Happy Hours with my kids and with the women I went to high school with as girls.

But I haven't been excited about my creative work since the days before we realized we'd need to cancel the concert on March 20. If we'd scheduled it a week or two earlier we could have had it. I started this blog series to get excited about my creative work again and it has felt instead like, well I don't know what, but it hasn't felt good. Or I haven't felt good about what I have been putting out. I did feel good about showing up, until the hurricane hit and broke my streak. But now I'm showing up every day for my craft and I am writing beautiful work that I am happy with and that people are asking to be notified about so they can read it. That feels like a gift.

I am not sure I will continue the 40 days of this writing practice. I will probably pop over when I have energy and something to say. But, also, I do not want to dilute my process. I've fallen off the face of the earth and am discovering the underside, and everything is fluid.







Days of Accidental Beauty: 40 Days of Noticing is a daily writing practice that invites discovery.  


No comments:

Post a Comment