Monday, July 27, 2020

Night Writing

It always seems to get around to this.

I like to start my day with writing, write fresh in the morning when my energy and creativity are high, and then move into the rest of the day with the daily writing accomplished. And, yet, until I can establish the pattern, I find myself staring at my kitchen table and the laptop nearby and wondering how it got to be dark so quickly and where the last five or six hours slipped away to.

For writing in the morning to work for me, I need to get up early. Like, mist on the river early. It's been a long time since I've seen that part of the day. I think it's been the pandemic and quarantine effects -- the worry that accompanies it and the difficulty settling down at night to sleep. I haven't felt that non-specific nighttime anxiety that reared itself suddenly a few weeks ago and disappeared after a session of meridian opening that I was gifted the same day I began to acknowledge it was a problem. Still, nighttime television beckons and it's a great distraction.

I may need to discipline my schedule the same way I discipline my writing. 

But discipline and I are uneasy companions. My preference is to move through my day intuitively. I'm laughing even as I'm writing this. I've been able to indulge this preference over the last four months while working from home. It's going to be a difficult habit to break once the normal rhythms are reintroduced. If they are reintroduced. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole tonight. You know the one; the one where we're all wondering if life will ever be the same again.

That may be for tomorrow's night writing. Unless, of course, you see me in the morning, when happier topics abound.







Days of Accidental Beauty: 40 Days of Noticing is a daily writing practice that invites discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment