Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Air and Water

The first change we were asked to make was to our relationship with air and water. 

Most of us are short on both. We live in a state of constant agitation and so we usually breathe with the top of our lungs instead of taking air deep into our lungs. Most of us don't drink enough water. It could be because we are too busy. It could be because we don't want to stop what we're doing and go to the bathroom as often as we should. I think of my teacher friends, who sometimes can't get even a single bathroom break in the day.  

My own experience with this is that I was so out of practice with drinking enough water that I would guzzle my 8-ounce glasses of water in a single long swallow. In the beginning. That's not the way to do it either. I also had the habit of drinking several cups of black tea throughout the day. That made it hard for me to get enough water and, since caffeine has diuretic properties, black tea may not be ideal for hydration. I've learned to (mostly) sip water throughout the day and stop early enough that my sleep is not interrupted throughout the night.. 

I did not realize how unconscious I'd gotten around my relationship with air and water. It's funny because I teach mindful breathing. But in the day-to-day rush of life, I can forget myself. It's in the day-to-day rush that we need to remember ourselves. 

The invitation was to pause several times throughout the day and to do 5x5x5 breathing five times. That's the kind of breath in which you inhale to the count of five, hold the breath for the count of five, and then exhale to the count of five. I refined this a bit to the breathing I like to practice. Inhale to the count of five. Pause at the top of the breath (not counting) and exhale to the count of seven. Pause at the bottom of the breath. I like to let go of counting with the pause because, for me, too much stress on counting feels stressful. And I prefer a longer exhalation to release more air from the lungs. Exhaling stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and signals the body to relax.  

I thought about using my phone to remind me to stop and breathe and to drink more water, but decided instead to get into the habit of listening to my body and noticing her cues. I also assist myself with hydration by using the three carafes I bought last summer when I had a similar goal (more hydration) and fill the three of them in the morning with filtered water. I leave the empties on the counter. It's a visual cue, and gently supportive. I infuse the water with a slice of lemon and a few leaves of basil. These days it's habit, so I usually simply refill one carafe, but I go back to filling all three if I notice I'm drinking less.

What have I noticed?

I feel calmer. My head is clearer. My breathing has changed so that it is slower and more relaxed. When I feel challenged I fall into a deep inhale and a deeper exhale, which gives me a pause to reset. I feel more energy and am more clear-headed. I might say that I am feeling more nourished by air.

The most noticeable sign that I am well hydrated is I am not hungry most of the time. Dehydration and feeling hungry are connected. I've also noticed that my skin is softer and less dry. For about five years, my arms and hands have looked dry all the time. Some of that is related to hormone levels and I thought it was an inevitable part of aging. It may be, somewhat, but being well hydrated has an affect too. I might say that I am feeling more nourished by water.

I'd never understood I am nourished by air and water. And that it's the foundation upon which all other nourishment builds. 






The Green Wilderness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012, and each year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment