Monday, August 5, 2019

Route 66

The extreme heat eased a bit today. There was a breeze. I'm grateful to have a few days off to work on some projects. It's stunning to me that it's already August. Just a few months ago, the summer seemed to stretch out before me like a long, lazy river. When I think that I'm writing the 66th day of this 100-day series I can scarcely believe it. Friends are commenting that the trees are already starting to turn. I begin to think of a poem in my collection that talks about the surprise of the early changing leaves in high summer. 

But the cross-quarter day has passed and we are in the slide toward the fall equinox and the darkening of days. Soon the heat will soften into cooler fall days and the air will feel fresh and crisp again. 







The Great Summer Writing Retreat of 2019 continues. One hundred days of writing unedited ideas and following a prompt to its sometimes illogical conclusion. And showing up. Every. Single. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment