Thursday, November 1, 2018

Dust Storm




I stood on the mesa and watched the wind lift the desert floor and dance.




It took two weeks of reflection to come to this interpretation. To see my experience differently. Were you to peer into my journaling of that day, you would read about stark and sterile landscape, about dust and grit and sand. 

I certainly recognized the beauty. How could I not? But the recognition may have been fleeting in the face of overwhelming challenge.

The challenge that day was to find a place to stand where I could breathe the air.

The next day, I developed an illness that flattened me on an afternoon I'd intended to take a long hike deep into the desert. Instead, I found myself reclining in an antigrav chair with my hat over my face, neck, and chest all afternoon soaking in sunbeams and softer winds. 

Occasionally looking at the sweeping views of mountains. 

Listening to horses chuff. And to whistling winds.

Resting into the silence that surrounded all that. 

A different kind of wilderness descent.







Into the Beams is an approximately 40 day wilderness writing journey during the 2018 Venus retrograde period. There is no agenda other than to show up and discover the treasure buried there.


Photo (c) 2015 Katherine Cartwright. View of Anza-Borrego Badlands toward the east and Salton Sea. Moonrise, a Hunters Moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment