Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Beauty in the Night

It's hard to believe that only a month ago I returned from my time in the desert.

The days and weeks have seemed to slip away and I wonder where the time has gone. 

The light, too, is slipping away, as each day seems to diminish and move toward a longer night and deepening darkness. It's the time of year that we go deep within and hibernate. It's part of the natural cycles. And it feels quite at odds with the striving of the the world around us.

But there is beauty in the night. 

I've included a stunning photo from a friend, Daniel Cain, with this blog post. He's someone who spends his days and nights moving through the desert and taking amazing photographs of the experience and the natural wonders he discovers there. Lately, he's been capturing images of the night and the night sky. 

They've got me thinking again about the beauty that can be found in darkness and the tiny illuminations we discover along the way.












Beauty in the Night: Meditations in the Dark Time of the Year - I don't know if this will be a series, but if there is one in me, this is what I am drawn to thinking about and writing about these days. 


Photo: Daniel Cain, November 2018 - Ocotillo group grow in Palm Canyon under the night sky in Anza-Borrego Desert Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment