Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Word Play on Wednesday

The word of the day is whimsy. Whimsical. Wild could be another Wednesday word. Or wildness. Or wilderness. Wonder is a third. So, wonder-filled. Whimsy. Wild. Wonder. Love all three of them. I've been playing around with W words today and thinking about wonder words.

Wackadoodle. Wacky. Wakeful. Waiting. Walking. Wander. Wanderlust. Wanted - Want- Wanting. Warrior. Waning. Watercress. Watery. Wavering. Waxing. Wayward. Wavy. Waves. Way. Wayfaring. Wayfinding. Wavelength. Wealth. Weather. Web. Weird. Welcome. Welcoming. Westbound. Whispered. Whole. Whorls. Whatever. Wholehearted. Windy. Willowy. Windblown. Windswept. Windward. Wine. Winged. Winsome. Wistful. Wizard. Witchy. Wolf. Womanly. Win. Wondrous. Woodsy. Woods. Words. Wordsmith. Worldly. Worldwide. World. Worth. Worthwhile. Writing. Wrought. Weighty. Well. Wise. Wisdom. Wee. Wry. 

Wednesday is a fun day to play with words. It's a freedom day because the other days' (loose) themes feel more settled, as far as the things I'd like to cultivate in my life. Wednesday can be a day to play with possibilities, no matter what else I am doing, and in that it is transformed.

In my work world, Wednesday often has been a day I've dreaded. Usually a lot of responsibility and overwork. It's a day I sometimes find myself catching up with the things I may have neglected early in the week, as well as trying to make sure I don't have a lot left over to hamper the end of the week. And normally I've loaded the day with commitments. 

So I'm recasting it. 

Whimsy reminds me to find time to play, regardless of whatever else I've got on the to-do list. Even if that's just playing with words and enjoying the mouthfeel of them.

How many weeks is 100 days? It might be fun to take one of these W words every Wednesday and see where it takes me. Just look at where whimsy has led. To word play. 

There are 14 weeks in 100 days, by the way. And having begun on Monday, I'll end on a Tuesday. Crossing the threshold beyond the 100 days I'll find myself on Wednesday, and I wonder what I'll have learned by that time to carry into the once woeful and work-bedraggled day. Hopefully, new language and new ways of seeing.  

I was jotting down in my journal this morning, musing really, about the things I've got on my lists for today and tomorrow. Finding myself smiling, some strange ink flowed from my pen:


I'm finding myself, as it is, happy already. 


 I wrote it a second time, just to make sure it was real. It was.





A Hundred Days of Happiness is a daily writing practice that opens a landscape of discovery into my own human experience.

Katherine Cartwright has been blogging since 2012 and every year brings new wonders. She asks big questions of the small things in life.

Art: "Freedom,"  Zenos Frudakis, Installation at 16th and Vine Streets, Philadelphia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment